بورس امریکا به همکاری وزارت زراعت افغانستان
- January 9, 2018
- Posted by: Khaliqdad Mohammadi
- Category: announcement
Afghanistan’s Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL), with support from the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) through the GRAIN Project at Michigan State University, is pleased to announce post-graduate training scholarships in fields related to wheat research. The program will support long-term training of agricultural scientists at the master’s and doctoral levels at selected universities outside Afghanistan. This is a major effort to increase the number of agricultural scientists and strengthen research capacity related to wheat in Afghanistan, in particular in the Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL), the Agriculture Research Institute of Afghanistan (ARIA) and selected units of the Directorate of Agriculture, Irrigation, and Livestock (DAIL). The scholarships will provide full support for doctoral and master’s study beginning in August 2018. Training programs will cover up to 2.5 years of courses and research for master’s students, and up to 4 years for PhD students. The degree training programs will likely be granted from institutions in India or Kenya. At this time, it is anticipated that study will not take place in the United States.
Applications are invited from Afghan citizens who meet the requirements below. Preference will be given to employees of MAIL/ARIA/DAIL who demonstrate a long-term commitment to agricultural research related to wheat in Afghanistan. Applications from other institutions that focus on wheat research and have demonstrated linkages to MAIL/DAIL/ARIA (i.e. universities) will also be considered.
**Qualified female candidates are especially encouraged to apply.**
Applicants may study in a wide variety of fields that relate to wheat research in Afghanistan. These fields may include but are not limited to: Plant Genetics and Breeding, Agronomy, Soil Science, Irrigation, Agricultural Economics, Plant Physiology, Food Science, Post-Harvest Management, Agricultural Statistics, Biotechnology, Plant Pathology, Entomology, and Data/Information Management.
Trainee Selection Committee will review applications and select candidates based on the following criteria:
- Afghan national residing in Afghanistan.
- Strong academic performance at the bachelor’s level (for master’s study) and at the master’s level (for PhD study). An average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale (minimum 65% overall grade average) is preferred for all prior degrees.
- Relevant educational background and professional experience
- Strong written and spoken English language skills. Applicants will be required to take the TOEFL or similar language examination prior to acceptance into the GRAIN scholarship program.
- Evidence of commitment to a future career in developing agriculture in Afghanistan, particularly research.
- Under 38 years of age for master’s applicants. An exception may be made for excellent applicants.
- Under 40 years of age for PhD applicants. An exception may be made for excellent applicants.4r
 Relevant educational background means applicants should have a bachelor’s degree (for master’s study) and a master’s degree (for doctoral study) from a University recognized by the Government of Afghanistan, a third country, or other internationally recognized body. Prior study in a field related to wheat research is not a requirement, but may be an advantage.
 Professional experience means applicants should have held a previous full-time position in government, private sector, non-profit or other arena. Prior employment in a field related to wheat research is not a requirement, but may be an advantage.
How to Apply:
Option 1: Visit the application portal and follow the instructions to submit your application and required documents.
Option 2: It is strongly encouraged that all students use application portal to apply. However, if you are unable to create an online application, you will also find a downloadable application packet (below). You may fill out these forms and submit them by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Paper Application (Microsoft Word)
- Paper Application Document (Adobe PDF)
- Instructions for Letters of Recommendation (Adobe PDF)
The application deadline is February 1, 2018.